SOCIAL MEDIA

Plan Book!

Sunday, August 17, 2014

Each year I struggle with writing in my plan book - It's just not exciting for me, and quite simply not a priority!  Plus I've never really found a planner that works for me.

One year I made one and went all out.  I had standards, and assessment boxes, and materials list - all right there on the page.  I started out really well!

But in the end it was too much, and most of the planner would be blank.

Then I used a Teacher Created Resources planner for a little while, but there was no monthly calendar, no space to write in groups and no dates... so not quite right

Then for a few years I used one of the monthly/weekly planners that you can get at Target or Wal-mart.  But I found that it wasn't enough! Since each day was just one big box I didn't have separate spaces for each group.



This is when I started seeing and lusting after plan books for sale on TPT.  Oh My Goodness some of these things are spectacular and I want them all! But the problem - There is so much in them that I won't use!

So for this coming year I decided to make my own!


I used a digital paper (it's actually a pack preview but I love the colors) from MelStampz, and JandaCurlyGirlSerif by Kimberly Geswein

After the cover I have a page with my information and place to write in my schedule (in pencil since it changes often!)

Then I have a space for a quick look at student info - all my students information is stored on School Tool, so I don't make a big deal of having an information page when it's easier to go online.  But there is some stuff not on there that I need to have at my fingertips - F&P level and ESL Proficiency Level. Plus this is a quick reference for a sub.


Next I have a Student Birthdays Page - I always forget my kiddos birthdays until they tell me... I'm going to be better about that this year!


After that I start in on my monthly sections.  Each month has a laminated cover page and tab.



I made the tabs by printing the months on Avery round labels then I stuck two together and gently placed them in the laminating pouch behind the monthly cover.  Getting these spaced out correctly was a trick!

Then I have a one-page monthly calendar. I don't write much on my calendar so I don't need a 2 page spread.

Then I have a place to take attendance - This will be something new for me this year.  There are days when I don't see a student even though they are in school - I have a meeting, they have a special activity... etc.  This page is blank on the back so I can make note of special circumstances for absences.
I took this picture at the same time as the rest, in the same room, with my same phone - I don't know why it's so blue!

Then I have a place to take meeting notes.  I am really bad at taking meeting notes.  So this may end up being a meeting list.


Then I have my month at a glance - I am so excited to start filling this in.  I do it on post-it flags so that I can move things if I need too.


Then comes where most of the writing happens... the weekly spread.  I need the most space for this.  I prefer to see my day all in one column.  This also has a space for me to write in my after school meetings, a place for me to write my to-dos, and a general notes space.


At the end of my plan book is a yearly calendar with the school breaks, and my back cover... with my favorite teaching quote ever.



If you like my cover, monthly dividers and back cover you can grab them over on my Facebook page.  They are a fan freebie!

6 comments :

  1. Your planner is awesome! I use one from Lakeshore that works pretty well for me as a classroom teacher. I think next year I will look into some of the ones from TPT. Hope you have a great start to your school year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I think by next year I may actually have one available on TPT - We'll see! You have a great start too!

      Delete
  2. I love your planner! Good on you for being proactive about creating when what's out there wasn't meeting your needs! I'm inspired to create my own. I especially love the student info page and meeting notes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Creating my own was an intense labor of love! I went through many many drafts and set-ups. If you have any questions about how I did it please e-mail me and I will do my best to answer them. TeachingEternityatgmaildotcom

      Delete
  3. I'm in the process of making one too! I want to be able to customize it 100%! It looks like you did that and it is quite awesome!! You should think about selling your planner (if you take out your district's calendar and specific things like that). I'd totally buy it! But for now I'm going off to grab your fan freebie! Thanks!

    -Caitlyn
    Fourth Grade Lemonade

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have thought about selling it! Maybe for next school year - right now it's really specific to my teaching situation - I have no school and staff days marked, so I'd have to change that. Plus I don't have a commercial license for the KG fonts. So I'd have to change it up. But thanks for the encouragement!

      Delete

Instagram